Reasons Why Every Elderly Person Requires Personal Care
As you know, aging comes with numerous challenges. Due to diminished physical ability, most senior citizens significantly lose their independence. Although some of them are self-sufficient, others require consistent care. The common challenges faced by the aged include financial insecurity, a lost sense of purpose, difficulties with mobility, and inability to perform everyday tasks. In all these situations, personal care is highly essential.
Your dexterity and mobility will naturally decline as you age, making it hard to complete everyday tasks. In most cases, complete independence is no longer practical, and one needs additional care.
Although family members can provide care, it may place a lot of strain on them. Family caregivers may find it overwhelming to balance caregiving duties, work, and other family responsibilities. Thus, you may be forced to outsource personal care services.
Today, aging in place has become increasingly popular in most American societies. Through aging in place, senior citizens receive personal care in their homes instead of being moved to long-term care facilities.
If you want your aging parent to receive care at home, you might be forced to hire a professional caregiver.
Some of the personal care services offered by caregivers include:
- General Personal Hygiene: This hygiene includes hair care, shaving, mouth care, and skincare. Remember that this type of care is vital since most seniors are highly susceptible to many infections.
- Ambulation: The aged need assistance with movement around the house and driving. On other occasions, they need help to get in and out of bed. Such care helps them maintain their social network and prolong their independence.
- Household Maintenance: They also need someone to keep their household running smoothly. Thus, you need to hire someone who can help in gardening, housekeeping, laundry, and shopping.
- Medication Reminder: Most seniors have medical conditions, such as diabetes, hypertension, and arthritis, that require them to take medication regularly. However, memory loss is common in old age, and it's hard for most seniors to maintain a medication cycle. Thus, they need someone to continually remind them to take medication.
In this regard, personal care ensures that the elderly receive different services, ranging from meal preparation to light housekeeping. Hiring a personal caregiver has many benefits, such as:
- Maintaining the elderly's dignity.
- It's a cheaper alternative to taking a loved one to a long-term care facility.
- The seniors receive personal care at home while surrounded by people and things that mean the most to them.
- Your elderly relative receives the much-needed assistance in an environment they know well.
Outsourcing personal care services for your elderly relative is one way of enhancing their independence. It also significantly helps them stay meaningfully engaged. Since most seniors have higher levels of acuity and complex conditions, hiring professional caregivers is always recommended.